Pages

28 Dec 2016

Do you name your hens?



PC and I were chatting about the hens this morning and he mostly ends up laughing when we do this. He’s amused as he inadvertently named our rooster a day or two after we acquired our Silver Wyandotte flock because of its behaviour.

The rooster's name is FIGJAM. 

When you go into the hen house or yard FIGJAM struts around with his head up and his chest out and if you talk he “talks” back like he’s answering you. Also, when you pick him up, and then put him back on the ground, he doesn’t run off but steps away in a dignified manner and shakes himself – all the while chastising you in various tones. I think he’s still indignant that I clipped his flight feathers, on one wing, the day we brought him here to ensure he stayed and didn’t try the option of flying over the 5 foot high gate.

Cheers,
RobynLouise xo

8 comments:

  1. Figjam looks very pleased with himself, Robyn. I have named a couple of our chooks. They look so alike I can hardly tell them apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Isa Browns are named as well but it's a little difficult telling Winny and Dot apart if you cant see the white feather on Dot's wingtip.

      Delete
  2. We have Bruce the rooster and Henny Penny, the friendliest chook ever who loves a good cuddle. The rest I am not aware of any names but I know the kids call them various names but are constantly changing! ha!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a child we had one hen and she was named Henny Penny :). I can't recall if she was friendly or not but she did lay an egg a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ef I'm Good Just Ask Me! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha ha FigJam, a good name! love it!
    i have two roosters, one is a silver Wyandotte too, he's name is Lace as he was supposed to be a hen! my other rooster is a white leghorn cross which came here as a tiny chicken who we also thought was going to be a hen, Chickeedee is that ones name, i also have a hen who i named Jan after the lady who gave her to me. that's all that have names out of the 12 i have.
    naming is sort of cute, most of the chooks i had before this lot all had names too.
    have a safe & happy new year
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, I also discovered one of my Silver Wyandotte "pullets" isn't, when Figjam tried to beat the feathers off him when he was overly friendly with a Wyandotte hen. Luckily he is quick and agile. He now resides alone in a small pen until his fate is decided.

    ReplyDelete