Pages

19 Apr 2015

To Socially...

Discover....
that I must be a bit of an oddball around here for my age, after attending a night out with an over 50's singles group, was a bit disconcerting. I mean, I know I’m a little weird but to know so much about social internet and be able to send bulk emails, moderate (I was asked what that is!) a forum and post frequently on blogger and Facebook, and now I’m using the Snapchat app thanks to my adult kids, set me apart from the rest of the group. To also grow vegetables, by preference, instead of flowers and ornamental trees made me a little more of an outcast. I’m glad I didn’t say anything about homemade soap and laundry liquid or start talking about sourdough starter and baking my own bread…..they may have thought I should be in a straight jacket or I’d escaped from somewhere!!


I declined the invitation to go to one of the local clubs after dinner as I’d had enough. They are nice people but they have narrow views and I’m afraid after being on the DTE forums for just short of 4 years and moderating for half that time I didn’t feel I needed to be exposed to their views and they certainly weren't interested in mine. As I’ve almost accidentally removed myself from the land of the living in the last 2 years I want to ENJOY life, and have new experiences and grow physically and mentally, not stagnate in the same spot in my life journey as some of the group members seemed to be doing.

If you don’t like your life YOU CHANGE IT! It’s not easy but no one else can do it for you.

I was catching up on blogs this morning and this struck a chord with me as I’ve done it before the self-caused hiccup in my life put it on partial hold for a couple of years. I continued to plant some veges, turned off lights/power points that weren’t being used and kept cooking from scratch whenever possible, while enjoying the free things life has available like the joy and company of exercising the dog, beautiful sunrises/sunsets, the glory of a flying flock of noisy galahs and the delicate way a butterfly goes about its business….just to mention a few.



Reading this helped me feel good again about my decisions and what is right for me. ….Thanks Phil.

At the moment the split peas are soaking for the pea and ham soup tonight, the sourdough starter was fed earlier and will be bubbling gently soon for the sourdough crumpets I want to make to have with the soup, I’ve brought in most of the laundry that was washed using homemade laundry liquid that contains homemade soap and as soon as I empty out a dead tree from a pot and toss some mixed greens seeds in there I’m going for a bike ride and letting the dog tag along.


Life is good if you know how you like to enjoy it :D.
Hope everyone had a truly enjoyable weekend.
Cheers,
RobynLouise xo




16 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic post Robyn, I enjoyed reading it.

    Go ahead and enjoy life doing what makes you happy. You are right in saying that there is only one person that can change your life and that is you!

    I feel the same way when around people in my age group too (50+). They are interested in different things to what I am. Give me the simple life any day :) I find some of the younger and older folk are more in line with my lifestyle lol!

    I like Phil's blog, I always enjoy and learn from his posts.

    Sounds like you had a great day just being you. Way to go Robyn!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania :). I haven't found a local group around here who have similar ideas to me but it won't stop me from trying.

      Delete
  2. :-) we all encourage each other in our own unique ways - it is reciprocal and I certainly could not live with out this community any more, that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually glad to come home and log into the forum where we respect each others views.

      Delete
  3. People find me a bit weird as well however I am of the mindset...I don't really care what other people think. I am happy and I am who I am. Never feel like you should be any different than true to yourself.
    Thankyou for sharing a part of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care what they thought I was just a bit surprised at their reaction considering the age group. What happened to live and let live?

      Delete
    2. Not sure that is a norm anymore. Wish it was. I still stand by it. As my mother says,"sounds like a personal problem." She says this alot and I have used it as well. When others react in a way that is judgemental, I tend to reply with this quote. Either out loud or in silence depending on the situation. Then just walk away. Life is just too short.

      Delete
  4. totally agree with tania, be yourself & enjoy the way you want to live, don't bother with people who aren't into what you're into, that how you get depressed, enjoy it & be happy with what you have chosen
    phil's blog is great, isn't it?
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina, I was a bit down until I arrived home and turned on the computer. Some of the DTE group are my Facebook friends and they soon cheered me up joking around. Then when I read Phil's blog entry it just confirmed who I am.

      Delete
  5. Glad you feel better now, Robyn. What you said reminded me about someone who asked me yesterday why I wanted to knit socks when I could buy them. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. Hahaha re socks - because yours would be better and in the colours/patterns you like!

      Delete
  6. Rob, what can I say, you have done good (bad english I know). Many of us on the forum are quirky in our own little ways, and I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robyn, I've had soap on my mind recently too! And planting. I think it all boils down to "freedom" and clearing our minds. I wish I lived out in the country to further clear mine! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog via DTE forums. Is there a way to subscribe to your blog via email? Or am I missing it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, don't become techie on me! I guess I'll have to figure out how to add that option but I'm working tomorrow morning and I've just finished work tonight so you'll have to give me a few days as my brain can't comprehend new things when it's tired :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi RobynLouise, you are lucky that you know what you want in your life. Some come to the end of their life and find they have lived by someone else's yardstick. Good for you ... keep enjoying the simple things which make you feel good!

    ReplyDelete