Pages

13 Jul 2012

Growing my Own....part two


Six weeks after the start of the cleanup began:


Top left : Bed 1 – peas and radishes growing strongly
Bottom left : Bed 1 – other end! I’m delighted with how the asparagus is multiplying. Another replant for them in a couple of months into another bed until they become 2 yr old crowns, by which time I hope to have a 3m x 3m permanent bed ready. Lol, I’ll have more  than enough of these when they are in full production. I think a bit more research before acquiring them would have been helpful but they’re here to stay now J.
Top right : Bed 2 root veges are sprouting nicely and a row of 2 leaf pak choi seedlings on the left of photo are enjoying having more space.
Bottom right : The microclimate and the fact they are planted in old compost has confused my strawberry plants as mid-winter is not when they are supposed to flower and fruit!



Top left : Soil testing throughout the bed making process showed a consistent level of 6.0-6.5 pH. Perfect for healthy veges J!
Middle left : A mass of worms with every forkful of soil turned was another common finding. I’m soooo pleased I don’t have to build up the fertility of the soil. 
Top right : Pak choi seedlings on the left of the climbing vines frame and snow pea seeds sown on the right. Pak choi will be mature about a third of the way into the snow pea’s growth cycle.
Middle right : Bed 3 with the first row of mixed loose leaf lettuce seedlings planted. Climbing vine frame in background.
Bottom : A mystery seedling amongst the kohl rabi! My guess is a melon of some description but it may be a jap pumpkin. It is now transplanted to its own pot to await developments.

Of course being an insignificant human I did require supervision during the later days of gardening to ensure I was doing things correctly....


Top left : Rascal - Lord of the farm cats – perched in the Mulberry tree
Bottom left : Ginger on the roof of the old duck enclosure
Top right : Maddy behaving
Bottom right : Maddy misbehaving

Hope you've enjoyed gardening with me!

Cheers,
Robyn








2 comments:

  1. WOW! You've been some amazing progress on your garden. It is looking GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is coming along super! Just as well you have 'eager helpers'!!

    ReplyDelete