Pages

15 Jun 2015

Weekends…..

....are usually the time when I cook for the week, wash the laundry and clean house and possibly potter around gardening.






I don’t really like cleaning house through the week as I already spend between 26-30hrs doing pretty much the same at work – sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and wiping stuff down. To come home and do it just seems like I haven’t left work. I think I need a change of mindset as I should make myself do at least one job a day at home then I can have more of my weekends free – even those ones where I'm rostered on Saturday morning and don’t finish till 9am.

This last week had a few little surprises in it. I discovered that I can cook on my woodstove. Why on earth I never realised that before is beyond me but I thought the little handle was so one could lift the tiled section up to clean under it…..I never thought of putting my camping teapot or my saucepan there. That’s going to save me a little bit of gas charges over Winter.


I also received a lovely hand knitted beanie from Shirley over in WA. Adore the colours and finding myself living in it on cold days as it’s so warm! Thank you again Shirley!


I finally bought the knitting needles and found some 8-ply wool for the sock knit-along at the DTE forums but they have been sitting there mocking me as I haven’t even cast a stitch on yet! I really need some more socks to wear outside work so I’ll have to motivate myself!


Hoping everyone had a lovely weekend!
Cheers,
RobynLouise xo

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with the socks, Robyn. I am just about to finish mine off with the Kitchener Stitch. I watch a YouTube tutorial while I am doing it. Love the beanie from Shirley. She is a clever lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. Could you send me the link to the kitchener stitch video? Save me trolling through you tube till I find one that I can understand :). I will have to try making a beanie like Shirley made me as I do have leftover balls/lengths of wool from previous crochet projects. A beanie on a circular needle is on my craft bucket list. Suppose I'd best start that while my eyesight and patience are both in good order!

      Delete
  2. Now that is a lucky find with your woodstove. You will certainly save on LP gas costs, as well as permanently have a kettle on the boil... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on natural gas in Oz, Dani. Costs me about $65/quarter and that includes the meter reading. I still bulk bake mostly though. I do like having the kettle on the stove though and popping a pot of soup/stew on to cook while I'm doing something else. As I have to buy firewood it eases my conscience that I can have double value from it.

      Delete
  3. I used to have a coal burning stove...made the best ever fruit cakes as the heat wasn't dry. Enjoy the cold with warm ears:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I have thought about foil wrapping a couple of potatoes and tossing them in the embers on the mornings I work but think I may return to cremated remains as this is basically a heating stove! I'm saving the beanie you made me for outside of work, like dog walking expeditions, as I don't want it permanently permeated with the fermenting grape smell. Next batch of home made bath soap will have a good dash of lavender or lemon myrtle oil in it as some gym days I think I may smell like "off" wine vinegar!

      Delete
  4. Get those needles clicking. Great to be able to use the wood stove, love the beanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to read through the thread to find the link for how to hold 3 needles at once or I'll end up in a tangle!

      Delete
  5. What a great discovery. Would love it if my stove cooked too. Love the winter hat too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so and even if I need to finish heating the water for a cuppa on the gas stove it takes less time :). Lol, everyone loves that hat!

      Delete
  6. Rob, I prefer the using 4 (set of 5) needles, I found it easier to manage than 3(set of 4).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I'm going to have trouble holding 3 so no doubt 4 would have me in a real tangle! I do have 3.75mm or 3.5mm set of 5 though...I think. I can't find either of my needle thickness measures but they are a tad smaller than the 4mm I bought. That's how I ended up with 2 needle measures...found the first one after I bought the second one so betting I find both previous ones if I buy a third one!!

    ReplyDelete