Pages

20 Aug 2012

Harvests and Homemade

Yesterday became a gardening day instead of a sewing day as DH finally decided to shift the dead peach tree out of the vegetable garden area. Sorry, no pics of that as I was navigating and guiding branches over fences. He also removed the lawyer thorn (local terminology here but we all know how prickly some lawyers can be - hence the name!) in the corner so I now have an area of about 4m x 5m  available for planting with vegetables or fruit vines *great big smile*.


I harvested some edibles too:


Globe radishes: Cherry Belle - top, Sparkler - bottom



Common Oranges - the trees with the thorny branches that are tough but yield big sweet juicy fruit!



and I'm waiting in anticipation for these to ripen...Mmmmmmm......


They are usually covered by wire mesh so the possum and the birds don't pre taste test them!


I've been promising Miss13 pizza for tea for ages and this time I remembered how long the dough takes to rise and had it ready so we had thick crust homemade ham and pineapple pizza for tea. It does look better than this but night time indoor photography isn't my forte, lol.



I also had some apples that were looking a bit tired so I made a German apple cake which turns out sort of like an apple slice. I misread the directions and sliced the apple quarters, instead of leaving them whole, but it looked quite pretty and made the texture different so I'll be assembling it the wrong way in the future too :).



Crosscut showing the layering.



It's nice like this but we ate it still warm with a lavish coating of hot custard! 
A nice finish to a busy day.


Cheers,
Robyn xo



7 comments:

  1. Your garden goodies look lovely, those strawberries look very promising.......Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baking and garden produce look so nice! I live too north to be able to grow oranges. That would be neat! The birds and squirrels got into my netting and ate all my grapes...I will have to double the netting next year and tack it down. love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn,
    I am still getting directed to that other blog. Today I am going to try 'unfollowing ' you , then once the Stitchin Time info is gone, I will follow you again and see if that works.
    Recipe for German apple cake please!!It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, thanks and shame about your grapes. I find tent pegs that you can buy loose from the camping store work well for tacking netting down.
    Kim, thanks for the update. I had to unfollow and refollow a few blogs last time blogger did the big changes as my avatar was there in followers but the link was gone. Thanks for reminding me. I don't have access to the old blog as it sends me to the new dashboard, so I can't completely delete it, and the meta tag I put in the code may take a few days for the search engines to recognise.
    I'll post the recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robyn, I dropped in from Down to Earth this morning and have had a lovely time pottering through your blog. You live in a beautiful spot! I notice you enjoy visiting the lovely Deb (Ramblings of a Square Peg) too! Will you be joining her in her new challenge? I thought I would as I need to get my photo mojo back! Thanks for a lovely morning, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Robyn, I've popped over from Rhonda's blog too. I love your blog, maybe because it seems similar to mine, although I don't live on a farm. I live on the outskirts of a small country town in SA, on 2.5 acres. I work each day at our car dealership so don't have a lot of time for gardening (which I love and would like to do a lot more of, especially vegetables). I do love to bake and cook yummy things (as do you by the look of your pics) so I guess that is my main hobby. We are empty nesters this year as both our girls have gone to live in the city for work and Uni (sad face)so I love it when they come home so I can lavish them with home cooking. I look forward to going over your blog and maybe you'd like to visit mine too.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate my first strawberries last night, with a splash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar, delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete